Reaching for Gratitude During Hard Times
We all have times in our lives where our minds dwell on something negative for too long and we can’t get past it. I had one of those weeks recently, and I want to share what helped me get through it.
Ultimately, when I look back on this experience, I realize that this was an experience that happened for me, instead of to me, and that I was able to learn a lot about myself when I reflect on it.
“We suffer more in imagination than in reality. We as humans tend to put ourselves through the ringer when we don’t need to. We make things up, we make things mean more than they need to.”
Head to the website to listen to this episode or click “Listen Now” below!
In this episode Avani talks about:
- How to get out of your own head.
- Leaning into your support group for help.
- Learning how to remember gratitude during stressful times.
1. Don’t get caught up in your own thought process
As humans, we tend to make things a bigger deal than they actually are. It’s our brains trying to make meaning out of that situation. It’s important to separate yourself from that situation and to stop identifying with it too much.
2. Use the tools in your tool belt
Use your resources to help clear your head. Whether it be meditating, journaling, or reading; anything to help clear your mind. It’s also a good idea to lean into your support system of friends and family.
3. Redirect your thoughts through gratitude
When darker thoughts start to creep into your head, start thinking thoughts of gratitude instead. Start thinking of things that you’re thankful for. Make a list of them in a journal or in your head and make note of them when you start to feel terrible.
- Breakthrough with Avani
- The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
- The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself